Thursday, December 26, 2013

Holiday Hustle and Bustle

Ahhhh The joys of Christmas. We had a busy one this year. We had three Christmases, Phil's family, my family, our family. Christmas has different meaning to different folks, and for me, it's always been the same. Celebrating the birth of my savior and gathering with family and friends. I'm a winter baby and I love this time of year. I absolutely love it. I'm like Buddy the Elf. My husband. . . Not so much :-) But he gets in the spirit <3

This was our first year as a married couple and our first Christmas living together. As I sit here in our lovely home and look at our tree I'm reflecting on how blessed we are to even be here and be together. I remember my last Christmas before I got sober. I was pretty much living in the bathroom, and trying to escape my family so that I could go do what I needed to do to make it through the day. No amount of money and no gift could ever be as great as my sobriety. I don't hurt my family anymore. I get to show up today, be present. I get to be a daughter, a wife, an aunt, and a friend.

We spent Christmas Eve with my Dad and we went to the church that I grew up in. We spent Christmas Day with my Mama.... Last year, we spent Christmas with my Mom, but she was in the ER with bronchitis. It was not the way that I imagined we'd spend the day, but my smart, and sweet husband made the point that we got to spend the day with the person who needed us most. This year; my mom made a beautiful breakfast and her home was filled with friends, my dad, my stepmom, my grandma. I just have to sit back and thank God for all these blessings.

It has been an eventful couple of years with lots of joy, some sorrow, but the most important thing is that we are all together. God is good, and life is beautiful any way you slice it. I have a life today that I didn't know I wanted. I am present, I am aware, and I am grateful.

Justice is getting what we deserve, mercy is not getting what we deserve, and grace is getting a life that we don't deserve. Merry Christmas, and let's have a wonderful 2014, shall we?

Cheers!

No comments: