Thursday, April 14, 2011

My Dream Weaver



I love Jeff Weaver... I'm not ashamed of this & I catch a lot of hell for it but I just don't care. Weave is my guy & there are those (Some of them related to me :)) that hate him more than I love him & again... I don't care. I'm super bummed that he's still out there as a free agent. With our relief pitching looking the way it does, my feeling is that we need Weave...

A Simi Valley boy with a mess of blond hair & a mean face, the guy is alllll heart...
He's been with seven different teams since coming to the majors in '99. A bit of a head case at first, the guy would give up a home run & let it rattle him. I'm not a pitcher, I'm not a baseball player & I have no IDEA at all what it takes to pitch a baseball game.

He threw the game of his life with the Cardinals. Game 5 of the '06 series, he threw 8 innings giving up only 4 hits and 1 earned run...
And then? To the Mariners & then back to the minors & then back to the Dodgers. He got the win in in Game 1 of the 2009 NLDS against the Cardinals .
The next year, he made the roster as a reliever. He made a couple starts last season. One against his little brother :) and July 5th of last year, when John Ely got into a bit of trouble. Weave came in and held the Marlins to no runs at all... However, the Dodgers bats couldn't catch the deficit that Ely gave up...

Here's what I know, when I see his 6'5" lanky frame lumbers out to that mound, I get excited. Last year at the Tigers/Dodgers game, he came in to relieve John Ely in the 7th & I flipped out... I stood up screaming & yelling & full of joy that I would get to see him pitch.

He's a solid middle reliever, he's good to come in and clean up a mess & set up for a closer. I think he'd be great closer actually, it seems to be that he's got the mentality to be a closer.

I miss him. I miss seeing a true gamer on the mound, that ratty blond hair & his thick gold or silver chain around his neck. I love anyone with a baseball heart & to me... That's what he is... A true player with a baseball heart. I keep wishing for Weaver.. I'm watching the Cards destroy us right now & wishing more than anything that Weaver was on the bump. We're getting shelled right now because the Cardinals are teeing off on Cromier. Jeff is/was amazingly good at getting out of a bases loaded situation with no damage.

So, until something magical happens, I will sit and pine & wish for Weaver :)

2 comments:

Dodgerbobble said...

I was always a bit of a Weaver fan myself. He could spot start, throw long relief or pitch to one batter. He's probably better than Lance Cormier or Blake Hawksworth.

Plus, he's was born in Northridge and grew up in Simi Valley, my neck of the woods.

Joey Blue said...

I love Weave... Always have since he came up. The guy's a beast for real. With Brox in as much trouble as he's been in & knowing that Weaver is solid for at least a few innings... I don't know why we don't grab him. He's got the mentality & the ice blood that it takes to be a closer. Love him...